At East Preston Infant School, we aim for our children to become expressive, creative and passionate musicians. Through being exposed to different types of music, genres, composers, styles of music, we want our children to develop a lifelong love of music.
Our children will be engaged in a wealth of music making activities including singing, performing, composing and listening, in order to become confident musicians. This will be achieved through four aspects of the music curriculum: Singing, Listening, Composing and Performing/Instrumental Performance.
Our music curriculum follows the Kodaly approach which uses the voice as the central instrument and singing as the basic means of working with young children. All children have regular music lessons using ‘Jolly Music’ as our base scheme, with the addition of Music Express in Key Stage 1 to support aspects of composition and improvisation. In addition to the weekly lesson, there are also opportunities to use their voices expressively and creatively throughout the day. The whole school sing together in our weekly singing assembly and regular opportunities are available for all children to perform to an audience.
Wider opportunities to develop musical abilities are available such as joining the school choir and participation in the West Sussex Little Big Sing. All children also have the option of individual tuition covering a range of musical instruments. Our Year 2 children take part in the GetIn2Music West Sussex programme where they begin to learn an instrument.
Through our Music curriculum, the children will:
- be engaged in a wide range of musical activities - they sing and play instruments with enthusiasm and are proud of their achievements
- be able to apply their musical skills across the curriculum in a range of learning environments
- have the opportunity to share their skills and perform to an audience
- have the opportunity to learn a musical instrument, create expressive musical compositions and develop a sense of enjoyment for music-making
- develop a lifelong love of music