At East Preston Infant School, our curriculum is designed to help children become responsible, independent individuals who acquire a life-long enjoyment of learning and the transferable knowledge and skills to be socially and emotionally prepared for the world in which they live.
Our curriculum is designed to support our aims:
- Learning is fun and inspiring, developing a thirst for knowledge and an enquiring mind
- It fosters positive self-esteem by valuing all achievements
- It nurtures the whole child, developing their emotional, social and spiritual awareness
- It is taught within an inclusive environment where everyone is encouraged to fulfil their potential in order to be the best that they can be
- It helps children to become responsible and caring citizens
- It supports children in leading healthy lives in a happy and safe environment
- It encourages pro-social behaviour and mutual respect for others and the environment
- It is carried out in partnership with parents, carers and the wider community
Our creative and curiosity-led curriculum is centred on the need for children to be able to think, work and learn independently. The learning is developed from each child’s starting point and is built upon as they progress through the school so that they are ready to start the next stage in their journey. Adaptations are made in order that all children are able to participate in the learning within their classroom. We are committed to active learning outside the classroom, including through Forest and Beach School, to enrich the children’s ‘hands-on’ experiences.
Our memorable learning journeys are carefully designed to engage and inspire children. Each topic begins with a knowledge harvest to capture the children’s ideas and stimulate their thinking. WOW experiences are carefully planned to immerse the children and further promote questions and ideas to explore. Mini adventures, both within school and off-site, help to capture learning in a ‘real-life’ context.
The home-school partnership is a vital part of our curriculum and families are encouraged to further extend and support their child’s learning at home through participating in take-home activities and experiences. Parents, carers and extended family are encouraged to become fully involved in the life of the school, being regularly invited to participate and celebrate in their child’s learning.
- Our strong commitment to providing a rich education enables our children to become well-rounded, caring and responsible citizens, with a strong sense of self-worth and the confidence to succeed.
- Active involvement leads children to be independent and creative, achieving their potential to be the best that they can be.
- Our curriculum enables children to develop links in their learning and apply their knowledge and skills within a range of exciting, real-life experiences.
- Our Rights Respecting ethos enables children to develop mutual respect, a shared responsibility and an appreciation of equity and diversity within a global community.
- Our meta-cognition Learning Crew supports children in developing key attributes and transferable skills across their learning.